"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Thyme and Cheese Strata

A Christmas morning staple.  This can be made with the addition of just about anything you'd make an omelette with.  This is a basic version, but I really like to add a good pork sausage or smoked bacon to the mix.  I cook the meat first and cool, then add it to the mixture.  I make the night before and just pop it into the oven while presents are being opened.  When everyone is ready for some breakfast, voila!

2 Tbsp softened butter
8 eggs
2 C. whole milk
1 1/2 C. shredded cheese (I use a Mexican blend, but experiment, have fun with it)
fresh thyme, to taste
3 C. fresh French bread, cut into 2" chunks
kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a glass baking dish with the butter.  Add the bread pieces and sprinkle half the cheese over.  In a large mixing bowl, crack the eggs and whisk together with the milk.  Add thyme to your taste and the salt and pepper.  Pour mixture over the bread and top with remainder of cheese.

Place dish in the hot oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.  Once done, remove and let sit for 5-10 minutes, serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment