"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

Monday, April 3, 2017

Soy Glazed Chicken

I was watching a travel show and they were showing a Michelin chef in China prepare this incredible Cantonese dish and thought, "WOW, I got to make this!"  You know how sometimes you see something and say- I gotta have that!  Well, this was one of those times.  I served it with a simple steamed rice, so the sauce could shine.  By the way, the sauce is awesome on stewed eggplant (your shoe would taste great with this stuff)  You can add different spices- cinnamon, star anise, Chinese five spice, but here's the basics. 

 
1 Whole Chicken, cut into parts
1 cup Soy sauce
1 cup Water
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup smashed garlic
1/4 cup minced Ginger
Red pepper flakes, to taste
Garnish-
2 green onions, sliced thinly
Sesame seeds

 
Combine soy, water, sugar, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes in a large pot.  Place pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.  Using tongs carefully add chicken pieces and cook for 35 minutes, turning pieces every 5 minutes.  Once chicken is done remove from pot and reserve pieces on a plate.  Continue to reduce soy glaze until thick, maybe another 8-10 minutes.  Then, return chicken to the pot and toss with hot sauce.  Remove chicken and place on a warm serving dish, sprinkle with green onion, sesame seeds, and serve immediately.  Spoon additional sauce into a bowl and serve alone side of chicken.  Serve with white rice.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment