"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Weekend in review

Saturday - I really liked the way the Pork Tenderloin came out.  Brining it before hand really gave it an extra depth of flavor.  I think it would have definitely worked without this extra step, but I found it made an already tender cut "melt like butta" in your mouth.  The glaze was no too sweet and had a hint of warmth from the pepper flakes that was a nice counterpoint to the pork.  I'm also in love with savory sweet potatoes.  The roasted garlic and onions really worked well with them.  I've always found this a great side for roasted or grilled pork dishes, especially in the Fall.  I've also never been a fan of the sweet potato dishes that include heavy sweet or marshmallows.  The Vinaigrette worked.  It was crisp and clean.  The simple salad was also nice and didn't complicate the meal.  I really hate when their is too much going on.

Sunday-  Turned out I needed to grill the chicken a little longer.  I started with it not completely thawed and it was slightly less done than I liked.  Once sliced, a couple quick bursts in the microwave brought it up to temperature and everything was great.  Very nice lemon flavor, super with the dill and Tzatziki.  I was going for a meal to remind us of when we were in Greece and Turkey.  It always seemed that every meal was more a feast than just a meal.  I tried to recreate some of that with this. They do a lot with grilled meats, hummus, and yogurt sauces.  My favorite is the cucumber and tomato salad.  I don't know how Greek it is, but my Grandfather, who was from Israel, used to make this all the time and it reminds me of him.  So, I through it in.  We were also able to use the tomatoes we grew in our garden and they are scrumptious!  The stuffed grape leaves I purchased at Hiller's.  They were good, but I think I liked the ones from Costco better, less acidic and the rice was less coarse.  Yes, maybe I should have made these from scratch. I've done it before, but I've got other things to do- like watch the Lion's lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment