"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Banana Blueberry Muffins

It took me until the age of forty to learn that I am allergic to wheat.  Since then, I haven't touched the stuff.  It turned out to be the root cause of the migraine headaches I used to battle.  It also was the cause of tremendous lower intestinal issues.  Within days of cutting all wheat from my diet my energy level was soaring and in the first 90 days I lost about forty pounds without changing my excercise routines.  This was a real life changing discovery (I credit my wife, another story)!  From that point forward my quality of life has been unbelievably better!!  

So, here's a recipe for a wheat-free muffin which I make to take the edge off of the urge to have something I shouldn't.  It has become a staple in our house and is a very tasty alternative.  I found using the basic formula of almonds, flaxseed, baking powder, eggs, oil, and sour cream I can make any recipe that traditionally calls for wheat flour.  Omit the sugar and you can make any type of savory version you can think up.  I also make this in loaves for a bread alternative.

2 C. almond meal (Trader Joe's has it all the time)
1/4 C. ground flaxseed (Trader Joe's)
3/4 C. light brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
Dash of fine salt
1 very ripe banana
2 large eggs
1/2 C. sour cream
1/4 C. vegetable oil
1 C. frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with oil (Pam or non-stick spray will do).  Combine the ground almonds, flaxseed, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and mix well with a spoon.

In another bowl, mash the banana until smooth.  Stir in eggs, sour cream, and oil.  Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients.  Mix thoroughly.  Fold in the blueberries.

Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them half-way.  Once complete, place muffin tin on a sheet pan and place in the center of the oven.  Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 45 minutes.  Remove from oven.

Cool in the muffin tins for 10-15 minutes.  Now, turn out the pan and transfer the muffins to a baking rack to cool completely.  Serve and Enjoy!

* Once completely cooled, you can store muffins
 in a zip locked bag in the refrigerator for a week and the freezer for a month.



No comments:

Post a Comment