"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Carolina Style Pulled Pork - Slow Cooker version

One of my all-time favorites!  I also use this recipe to make my Carnitas, just subtract the vinegar, liquid smoke, and BBQ sauce.  Serve with warm flour tortillas, smashed pinto beans and rice, Ole!

1 (7-9#) Pork Shoulder, bone in (sometimes called a Boston Butt)
2-3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
10 gloves garlic, smashed
1 C. Orange Juice
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1 lemon
1 C. Chicken stock
1/4 C. cider vinegar
1-2 Tbsp. liquid smoke
salt and pepper, to taste

BBQ Sauce -  can be made up to a week ahead
1/2 C. cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. ketchup
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tsp. red pepper flakes
salt and pepper, to taste

Season pork shoulder really well with salt and pepper.  Heat over med-high heat a large heavy bottomed pan (big enough to fit pork).  Add oil and allow oil to begin to smoke.  Sear pork shoulder on all sides to a nice brown.  Remove and place into the slow cooker.  Add all other ingredients and cook covered for 10 hours on low.
Remove and place in pan, pull with fork, remove bone.  Can be made 1-2 days ahead and reheated.  Serve with sauce and cole slaw.  Enjoy!

Sauce- whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Serve with pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment