"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Eggplant and Piedmontese Beef Bolognese

I like to make my own pasta sauce over buying a jar at the store.  For one, the taste of fresh made sauce can't be beat, no matter what the jar says.  Second, it so much healthier, I know exactly what went into it.  I usually make a big batch and freeze the extra so I have it on hand when needed.  The secret is letting your sauce cook slow for a long time.  I say a minimum of an hour and a half but, if you have the time watch what happens if you let this slowly work for 4 or 5 hours.  The flavors and color will deepen and you will be rewarded with a luxuriously complex finished sauce with a taste that will make them cry Prego! 

4 Tbsp. olive oil
1# ground Piedmontese beef
1 large eggplant, medium dice
2 large onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 C. red wine (Sangiovese or Chianti)
1 C. beef stock
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
(2) 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. fresh basil, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste

In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium high heat until shimmering.  Add beef and start to brown.  Add onions and eggplant, stir mixture well.  Cook until eggplant is soft, about 15 minutes.  Add tomato paste and garlic mix well.  Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.  Add wine, reduce liquid by half.  Add stock, crushed tomatoes, basil, parsley and sugar.  Reduce heat to low and cook, loosely cover, stir often for minimum of 1 1/2 hrs.  Finsh sauce by stirring in the remainder of the olive oil, correct seasoning with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.  Serve over pasta or however you like your sauce (called "gravy" in New Jersey) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment