"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

"What's for Dinner?!" I'm always thinking about it, thought I'd share.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Apple Blossom Cake

This is one of those wonderful recipes that takes me back to my childhood.  It's a fabulous cake my Grandmother used to make when we would visit.  It would make  their whole house smell of cinnamon, apples, and warm sugar.  She'd serve it still warm with vanilla ice cream, mmmm.  The last time I had this was 30 years ago, and just recently my Uncle found the recipe and passed it to me.  Thanks Uncle Bob, and thanks Grandma!

Softened butter for greasing the pan
3 C. Flour plus extra for dusting the pan
1 1/2 C. vegetable oil
2 C. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp.cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 C. peeled, cored Granny Smith apples, thickly sliced
1 C. chopped walnuts
1 C. raisins
Optional: vanilla ice cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Butter and flour a 9" bundt or tube pan.  Beat oil and sugar together with a mixer.  After about 5 minutes, add eggs and beat until mixture is creamy.

Sift together 3 cups of flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.  Stir into batter.  Add vanilla extract, apples, walnuts, and raisins.  Stir until combined.  Transfer the mixture into prepared pan.  Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool in the pan before turning out.  Serve at room temperature with vanilla ice cream if desired.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment